Saturday, April 17, 2010

Are You A Naked Family?

Having raised our children in an environment of body acceptance, I think they have greatly benefited. With two young sons, Emma Waverman has also taken on this question on the parenting blog "Embrace the Chaos".

 "We live in a naked house, appropriately naked (at least we think it is). We aren’t making breakfast with all the bits hanging out, but there are times when I am getting out of the shower and walking to my closet when I am starkers and the kids are walking around. The younger kids still shower with either me or my hubby. And, yes, doors are crashed open while I am standing in the nude or going pee and my husband has been caught with the towel at his ankles while shaving."
Her post includes a video from momversation.com, of mothers discussing how they handle nudity in their homes. At the end of her piece, Emma asks her readers to weigh in on the subject:

"What do you think? Is your house a naked house or does the whole idea mortify you?"
The discussion that follows in the comments section is quite interesting, with much of it positive regarding in-home nudity among family members. Reading the views expressed, both in the article and the comments, it becomes quite evident that one need not identify as a "nudist" or a "naturist" to contemplate the benifits of body acceptance, and to incorporate its teaching in the home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and will appear once they are approved.