Monday, September 6, 2010

"Nakations" Promoted by Christian Radio Host

It gives me hope that the idea of naturism is actually making some headway against the body-phobia of our contemporary American culture, when a Christian media figure as prominent and as main-stream as John Tesh is willing to promote the idea of "Nakations", the AANR-coined word for "naked vacations". The growing popularity of nudist vacation destinations has been chronicled in a number of publications like the Wall Street Journal, The New York Times and USA Today, but this is one of the first instances I have seen of this trend being positively reported through a Christian media outlet.

I only hope Mr. Tesh doesn't get tarred and feathered by too many well-meaning Christians who ignorantly take their cultural assumptions as a biblical proscription against nudity. (There are no such proscriptions in the bible.) Alas, since I know this element is alive-and-well as a small but sometimes vocal minority in American Christendom, I intend to send him a 'thank you' note for publishing the article. Hopefully it will help to mitigate any negative comments he receives. I would urge all of my Christian naturist friends to do the same.

Thank you John Tesh!

3 comments:

  1. Here's the email I sent to John Tesh, TeshMedia and his P.R. firm:

    As one of a growing number of Christian naturists, I want to personally thank Mr. Tesh and TeshMedia Group for publishing the article "Nakations are the Latest Travel Trend". Such positive reporting about nude recreation is very helpful in combating inappropriate cultural body-phobia, and instead, fosters greater body acceptance, healthier attitudes towards the body and a better self-image for so many who have experienced naturism first-hand. As someone who blogs about naturism from a Christian perspective, I wanted to be sure to give you some positive feedback about this article. But I am also aware that there are some who, due to their acculturation, may be opposed to nude recreation on principle. I would be very interested to know if you receive any negative comments about the article, and if so, how many (either positive or negative). I have publicly commented and published my thanks to Mr. Tesh on my blog. http://bit.ly/dnC04O But again, I also wanted to do so personally.

    Thank You,

    Gregg Gatewood

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also wrote the following to John:

    Hi John, I want to thank you for an excellent article on naturism and vacations from a Christian perspective. I am a Christian Nudist and promote Christianity in nudist resorts through a group called Christian Nudist Convocation http://www.christiannc.com I also have a website for the last twelve years called Boyd Allens Christian Naturism http://bacn.bravehost.com We are based on a Trinity theology and promote baptisms, communion services and bible studies which shows humanity as God's children of grace. Blessings to you and thank you,
    Boyd "Live Nude and Prosper" Allen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sent John an email, thanking him.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will appear once they are approved.